Social media icons can be displayed on your site in different ways. These small social media buttons link to services like Twitter and Facebook, allowing visitors to quickly access your social profiles. Some themes offer a special custom menu for adding your social media icons, and this page explains how to set up that type of social links menu in themes that support the method, like Twenty Sixteen, Button, Intergalactic, Illustratr, and Ubud. You can see themes which currently support social links menus in the Themes Showcase.
How do I set up a social links menu?
- Click My Sites, then Customize.
- In the Customizer, click the Menus tab.
- If your theme already has a social links menu, you can click on it to begin editing.
- If your theme doesn’t have a social links menu, click + Add a Menu instead.
- Type in a name for your social links menu, then click Create Menu.
- To add a social media link to the menu, click + Add Items.
- Next, select the Custom Links menu item type.
- Add the address for one of your social media profiles in the URL field. For example, if the link to your Facebook profile is https://www.facebook.com/WordPresscom, you would copy that into the URL field.
- You can also enter a name for the social media profile in the Link Text field. Once you’re ready, click Add to Menu.
- Repeat the above steps until all the social media profiles you wish to use have been added to the menu.
- For the final step, look for a Menu Location with a name like Social Menu or Social Links. Check the box next to that location to select it.
- Finally, click Save & Publish.
Which icons are supported?
Your site should now display icons for the services you’ve added to your social links menu, as long as those services are supported by the theme.
Every theme with a social links menu supports Twitter and Facebook, and many also support a variety of other services, like Dribbble for graphic designers and Vimeo for video enthusiasts. Check your theme’s documentation for a list of supported icons.
What if my theme doesn’t have a social links menu?
Some themes – like Writr and Forefront – first require you to connect your site to a social media service under My Sites → Sharing. Once you’ve connected services there, open the Customizer and then click on the Connect panel. There, select the service icons you want to display. If the Connect option does not appear, you’ll need to disconnect your services first and reconnect them.
Other themes provide text fields for adding social media links within the Customizer, usually in a panel called Theme or Theme Options.
You’ll find complete instructions on each theme’s support page.
If your theme doesn’t support any of the above methods for adding social links, you can follow our guide for adding social links to a widget. It’s the most manual method of all, but it works in any theme that supports widgets.